Our commitment to the environment and our customers
We’re proud to provide sustainable transportation solutions that demonstrate our commitment to the environment and our customers.
Benefits of rail
Railroads are the most environmentally efficient way to move freight over land. But don’t take our word for it. Check out these facts:*
- On average, railroads are 4 times more fuel efficient than trucks.
- Moving freight via railroads reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 75%.
- Freight railroads account for just 0.6% of total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions.
- A single freight train can replace several hundred trucks, reducing highway damage and congestion.
- Railroads move 1 ton of freight an average of 473 miles on a single gallon of fuel.
*Source: Federal Railroad Administration
Benefits of Barge
Moving freight via barge is a safe, cost-effective, environmentally sound mode of transportation. Inland barges, like those loaded/unloaded at IEI Barge Services, carry approximately 15 percent of the nation’s freight. With its economy-of-scale advantages, barge efficiency is hard to beat:*
- An inland barge can carry 5 times its own weight.
- Barges move 1 ton of cargo 647 miles on one gallon of fuel.
- More than half of U.S. grain exports, and a quarter of our petroleum products and electric power generation relies on the inland waterways transportation system.
- The latest barge designs are constructed with double hulls, double sides, or a double bottom to ensure structural integrity.
*Source: U.S. Dept. of Transportation, Maritime Administration